Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Falling apart?

I find it interesting that my best friend and I both think the other is a better friend.

Maybe that's what makes us a good friends?

I read her blog today.  I know, Myrtle.  SHOCKER! I'm not behind. 

Well, actually I read today's and finished the one before it. 

Myrtle lives with chronic disease.  Several in fact.  I one that rears its ugly head the most is dysautonomia.  (Even spell check doesn't recognize it.)  I usually don't know what to do or say to help her.  She's told me that just listening is good.  Or not seeing her as her illness.  Myrtle has referred to another blog (www.livingwithbob.com) written by another (Michelle) with dysautonomia, but I've only read what she has referenced.  Today I decided to go to the blog and read.  I came across this passage about stress and what constitutes giving up and falling apart:

Illness is stress. Chronic illness often means that stress will never fully go away. People aren't falling apart when their stress levels reach critical levels. They aren't giving up when they voice that stress and can't hold it all together. They are human beings, experiencing real and valid emotions to a prolonged highly stressful situation. We should not be jumping on them with judgements about giving up and the evil of falling apart, but offering them support, a place to voice their fears and sadness, and direction to appropriate mental health groups to help them navigate the complex and stressful world of chronic illness.

In my life, I relate most things to parenting. So for me, it's okay to fall apart in my parenting journey.  Michelle says, "There is strength in giving voice to the struggle."

I like that.






1 comment:

Myrtle said...

I actually copied that passaged and put it into an email to myself. I really like how Michelle balances healthy thinking with the stark reality of life with chronic illness. And I agree that there is value in sharing the struggle ... for you with parenting. You know I LOVE your writing and wish I hear more about what you are learning and thinking and battling. However, KNOW that even when you fall apart in your parenting journey doing so does not make you any less of a good and loving parent to Ellie and Josh!