Friday, September 02, 2005

Lastly, we are in Alexandria, VA.

We made it here around 7:00 pm. We had a nice leisurely day at Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's house. We joined a tour of the house, which got interrupted, for me, by a squirmy-wormy daughter, a short time after we were slightly embarrassed by the musical toy that my daughter pressed to play its little ditty in the middle of the tour. This seemingly quiet sound in the car, turned very loud in a reverberating room. It also brought forth a scowl on the tour guide's face and a curt "Could you turn that off?" With red faces and quickly as we could that thing was away from her little hands. After the official tour was complete, our tour guide gave me a personal tour of what I missed. She was as nice as could be.

We also joined the plantation tour, which was actually just a walk down a lane while a lady talked about the plantation. I assumed (silly me) that we would be walking around more of the plantation. We took our time and walked around ourselves after the "tour."

We headed out for Alexandria at about the time we were hoping. We leisurely made our way north. I had told my friend that we wouldn't be there until tomorrow. We surprised her and showed up tonight. Unfortunately, my dear friend was working late on a project that others were suppose to have finished long ago, and she wasn't home yet. I called her and ended up telling her we were here. Very gladly, she wrapped up things at work and came home.

Thinking that her house was too unclean for us to be in, she came in the door cleaning and continued for a good hour. My friend scrubbed, vacuumed, dusted, and fussed forever. She nearly wore herself out. What would happen to our visit then?