Saturday, October 01, 2011

49 inches, I think


Gary's mom came up for a visit and we drove to see an old saw mill. It is powered by the creek next to it. It was nifty to see it in action. You could have too if my battery wasn't dying.

I don't know all the history of the mill. It was a chilly day and I didn't pay much attention to all the specifics.




I did hear that the saw has replaceable teeth. It is powered by the creek running along side the mill. I thought the water moved a wheel thing, but it doesn't. It is diverted through a pipe to a potbellied turbine, which then pumps the water through a pipe up, over to something else, when the operator turns a wheel level thing. He (the lumber man saw guy) then pulls another lever to move the device the log is on. He pulls other levers to move the log around to properly saw it. He also uses another groovy tool to spin the log, quite effortlessly. At least it looked effortless.


And like I said, you could have seen for yourself if I had a charged battery. You'll just have to use your imagination.










I did, however, get a video of the lumber man saw guy using the groovy tool.



And I also heard that the saw can saw logs up to 49 inches, or close to that anyway. And the belt that moves the saw blade is 12 inches wide. There was also a machine to trim off bark but that wasn't working. The thing that moves the saw dust out of the way wasn't working either.

Sorry if my use of technical words is confusing.

1 comment:

Myrtle said...

I really like reading about your little trips. So adventurous are you all! Kind of wondering, though, whose finger is that in the photo of you and your beloved?? ;)