Wednesday, October 26, 2011

An opossum

While in Honesdale for our CSA pickup, it became clear that the kids weren't going to make it until we got home for dinner. We ate pizza at the local pizza place and brought home the extra.

In not wanting to make extra trips up from the car, I had my hands full, so couldn't stop at the basement to put the pizza box in the fridge down there.

After the kids were in bed, we cleared the table and Gary put the pizza box on the porch for me for when I went down to put it in the fridge.

I didn't go right away. But all of a sudden I heard a scraping sound on the porch and I jumped up and flung the door open. In the dark, I heard a creature started scurrying. I quickly shut the door lest it scurry into the house by mistake. But since I wanted to know what it was, I went back out. The light came on and I saw an opossum lumber down the steps and take off once it hit the ground.

It had passed by the leftover pumpkin head and tried to get at our pizza. We believe it was the pumpkin killer. We also believe it was the one to leave tracks on the porch several nights ago. The little brazen thing.

Note: Not my photo. Ours didn't stick around long enough.


Second note: I did get the applesauce and pie made and both are delicious.

No comments: