Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Seventh Word (Hebrew numbering, since it was written first in Hebrew.)

"Thou shalt not commit adultery."  Although the ancient Hebrews restricted understanding of adultery was rather limited, we Christians have a much broader sense of the word.  And before reading this post, I hadn't thought to relate it to parenting.

In the post, the author says that adultery "is about breaking covenant and giving someone else a place that doesn't belong to them."  How often have I chosen to ignore the needs of my children to please a stranger or even an a acquaintance, not wanting to offend them?  What about my own children?  They are indeed a higher priority.

And even though it is more the spirit of the commandment than actual commandment, I am reminded to be committed to my children, after my husband and before all others.

No comments: