Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What's going on

I haven't felt much like writing lately, especially since I haven't had many topics light in my head.

But here is something that has been niggling at me.

A friend from MOPS - her family, a Christain family - doesn't celebrate Christmas.

I asked her about it, and I just don't understand the basis. I just don't understand why they wouldn't celebrate the birth of our Savior.

I didn't understand, so I said to myself, Well let's just see what I can find out.

I found The Good News. I read about why December 25th is the wrong day for Jesus's birthday. I already knew that the Bible never really says when He was born, but this site gave me reasons. I did read that early Christains did not celebrate Christmas, but did observe a New Testament Passover.

In wanting more information, I continued my searching and found this one. Should a Christain celebrate Christmas? There is much to read here. It also gave a link to a site about hymns sung at Christmas, which opened a whole new set of questions about the scriptural validity of all hymns.

Another site I found is by Charles Halff, interestingly, a Jew. Although he is jewish, that is not why he doesn't celebrate Christmas.

This next site is quite interesting in that J. Hampton Keathley, III takes a look at both sides.

I could go on and on, but my eyes are hurting. I certainly understand now why my friend's family doesn't celebrate Christmas, but I am unsure of what all I read means for me.

If you want to keep reading, here's more information.

No comments: