Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Scare of my life

Friday, Josh got it in his head to not come inside. I had found a dime and had given it to him. While riding home, it fell down in his car seat and I wouldn't dig it out for him. He took exception to that and wouldn't budge from his seat on the grass. I went inside to let Hunter out. While bring Hunter back inm I picked Josh up and brought him along back to the house. I put him down before going inside with the dog.

Josh started walking. Back toward the garage. I had hooked Hunter up to finish his business, but quickc put him back inside when I saw Josh had kept walking past the garage. When I got to the alley, Josh was no where to be seen. I looked up and down the alley. No Josh. I came back in the yard, thinking I missed seeing him. No Josh. I looked around on the back side of the garden. No Josh. I looked around the garage to our neighbor's yard. No Josh. I walked down the alley toward the street. A neighbor asked if I as looking for a little boy. Yes, I told him. The kind man pointed down the street and said he went that way. I squinted my eyes and could barely see a form. I had doubt that my son had walked so far. I started running. Ellie coming along behind me.

I crossed two streets and two alleys before I got to Josh. He had indeed walked so far, two blocks. A neighbor on foot and a lady in her car had been watching out for him. When I got to him, I had trouble breathing for a moment. I was so scared. He behaved as though he always went for walks by himself - "What's the trouble, Mom?" In my hurry to get to Josh, I nearly forgot to ensure Ellie crossed the streets safely, since I run faster than she does.

Relieved to have Josh in my arms, I headed straight back home. I forgot to thank the lady who pulled her car over to ensure his safety, though I did have the presence of mind to stop my walk back home and thank the man who was on foot.

Thank you Lord for keeping my wayward son safe.

No comments: