Saturday, July 11, 2009

What's going on

Our summer has been uneventful. So I thought I'd write about it.

We are doing fairly well with one car. Gary mostly takes the bus. A co-worker has also been picking him up since he drives right by to drop off his daughter at the boys and girls club.

Ellie did splendidly at swim lessons, and we enjoyed the pool afterward on several occasions. I'd pack us lunch, and we'd go to the playground to play and eat, than go back to the pool for some water fun.

Lansdale now has a farmer's market on Saturdays, which I am excited about. I can get fresh produce in town.

Our garden is not doing too badly. The tomatoes are going great, everything else seems to be in slow motion. I planted more beans and cucumbers today. I had a bad experience with grass clippings in the garden. I thought I would spread some down as mulch. It was an unhappy attempt at keeping the weeds from taking charge. The grass was the stinkiest stuff around. We could smell it inside, and Ellie and Josh requested the window be closed because of it. After reading online that grass clippings were worse for a garden than better, I went back out and raked then back up and got rid of them. Unfortunately some odor still remains.

I discovered gDiapers, an earth friendly alternative to cloth and disposable diapers. The gPants are cloth and have a liner that holds an absorbent refill that you can either flush, toss, or compost (wet ones.) Gary chooses to toss, I flush when possible. They also have cloth inserts for those who want to go cloth all the way. Josh fought at first to have that thing on his cute behind, but he's warming to them. His words were "I don't want that, I want that" (pointing to the Luvs on his changing table.) gDiaper has a promo deal, so if you want to try them let me know - I'll give you the discount code.

I am making my way weeding up the fence along the side of our property. The weeds were very bad, but I've tackled almost all of it, and it's looking good. I have managed to do it in pieces and not focus on the entire job. If I had looked at the whole bed, I would've thrown in the towel.

Speaking of beds, I broke Josh's bed last night. I hopped up on it, and the bed came down with me. The wood piece that holds the box springs had already been broken and fixed, and my added weight that time did it in. Right now the box spring and mattress are on the floor, and Josh and Ellie think that's great fun.

We had a great time camping back in June at Camp Swatara. We met a missionary couple. The woman and older daughters in the family wore head coverings. It got us to thinking, and we looked up the verses in 1 Cor. 11 about head coverings. I wore a heard covering that next week. We looked it up online and talked to several people about it. We are still undecided about it. I did order two styles of coverings online to try. Along with head coverings is the idea of modest attire. I have ceased wearing jewelry, except my wedding engagement rings. I wear my watch when I won't be near clocks. I have assessed my wardrobe and pulled out things that aren't as modest as I'd like. I don't need anyone looking at me who shouldn't be or causing anyone to stumble. I don't want to be flashy. I dress to coverup not show off.

I had a nice break from children today at nap time, since Gary took Ellie (who doesn't actually nap but petions not to nap) to pick up his mom from the airport and Josh actually takes naps. But he is awake and calling for me, and Gary and Ellie are now home.

2 comments:

Carol Hepburn said...

I also wear modest clothing and a prayer covering (part time - for devotions and prayer only). I am amazed at how many women are receiving the call to return to modest attire and head coverings. It is clearly not a one-off thing as women all around the world, from so many different denominations are doing the same thing: non-denoms like me, fundamentalist women, Aglican and Roman Catholics, former feminists, etc. God is clearly doing something in the hearts of women -- calling them to return to a modest style of dress, submission for their husbands, and a reverence and respect for Him as Lord and Savior.

I pray that you and your husband will consider the calling you are receiving, and that the Lord will clearly articulate His will for you in this matter.

Claire Boyles said...

Ummm. . .July 11th? How will I know what you're up to if you stop posting? Just sayin'. . .love you guys!