Monday, November 02, 2009

The Full Moon

The children ate all their dinner tonight. An unusual occurrence, to be sure. And not only did they finish, they had seconds (and thirds if more were available) of the broccoli and cauliflower, and seconds (and thirds for Ellie) of the noodles. They did not however want anymore meat. And who could blame them, since I cooked it to death. I made it chewy and mostly tasteless. I mistakenly thought what I was cooking was thin ground beef, but it wasn't. One might wonder how I could make such a mistake, but we won't bother with that now. I have another package of it, and I won't make that mistake twice. I'll actually pay attention when reading the label.

Anyway, I also thought I'd make a gravy to go on the meat and noodles. Sounds good until I decided, foolishly, to add hickory smoke flavoring. I added too much, and because it was not real flavoring, it was yucky. Eventually I had to remove the pot from the table, the smell bothered me so much. I am throwing that bottle away.

Now the vegetables were the highlight of the meal. And that actually means something coming from me, the one whose tongue generally cares not for such healthy things. I sauteed them in grape seed oil (I can talk about that later) and Gary's seasoned garlic salt. Very tasty, highly recommend cooking them that way, especially for those who don't want to eat their greens. I should have made more.

And to top it off, we had told Josh he didn't have to finish his meat. He declined our offer and ate the last two pieces. At that point I wondered allowed if there was a full moon tonight? I immediately looked at the calendar and discovered that indeed it was a full moon. Go figure. Maybe at least once a month they'll eat all their dinner!

No comments: