Saturday, November 07, 2009

To market, to market

We've had a few late nights, and it has nothing to do with the Phillies. We have a store location to put our spices. Yeah! But since we didn't plan well, we were up past midnight for two nights getting stuff ready. An acquaintance of Gary's from high school has an antique type shop and offered us a spot for our spices. Gary and I are exhausted from getting everything ready.

We did, however, have our biggest sales day at the farmer's market today. And Ellie was Daddy's little helper. She was there all day with him and was well behaved. Josh stayed at Grammy H.'s overnight for his birthday. Each had a special treat and Mom had no kids for half a day.

Now, even though I had no kids, I had no relaxation. Gary and I scrambled this morning to get him off to the farmer's market. Things that went wrong - 1. Ground coffee too fine and had to grind more. 2. When grinding the second batch forgot to add the spices, so instead used already ground spices and just mixed it in. 3. Since he was so late, we just brewed the coffee and mulled the cider at home and hoped it wouldn't spill on the way over. After Gary left, I took a record time shower and went over with Ellie to help him set up.

I finally made it over to The Shabby Attic with our spices. I had the display all set, then remembered I forgot the bags of coffee to sell. When I got back to the shop with the coffee, Karin asked about the coffee Gary said we would brew for samples. Back to the house I went to grab the coffee Gary accidentally ground too fine and mixed in the spices. After stopping at four grocery stores looking for 8 oz. cups for said coffee, I ended up buying foam ones, which I was loathe to do. I wanted the cardboard/paper kind. Apparently I am the only one who does.

I raced back to the shop to set up the coffee maker and then took a needed bathroom brake. As I got back to check on the coffee, I saw that it had overflowed and made a large mess. The full pot of full strength coffee became a half pot of weak coffee. But I was told, since I don't drink coffee, that it had good flavor. Perhaps the orange juice drinker should not be put in charge of the coffee. And to top it all off, I forgot cream and sugar.

But there were some high points to the day. What seemed as wrongs, were actually rights. Thank you God for looking out for us. When Gary got to the farmer's market, he discovered that the electricity had been turned off. If we hadn't brewed and mulled at home, we wouldn't have had coffee or cider ready to sell. It did eventually get turned back on and keep the drinks hot. And since Gary brewed some coffee that didn't work for the percolator, I had coffee to take to the shop.

And the best part of the day was that Ellie had a great morning with her dad and Josh had a great morning with his grandmother.

2 comments:

Claire Boyles said...

This is great news! You should post a picture of your display, and your packaging, and such. What are these "spices" exactly? Where do you get them? So many questions :)

Becky said...

I plan to eventual get a display picture. The rest I decided to blog about. Maybe someone else is curious.