Saturday, May 21, 2005

Yesterday…..was an interesting day. I had fun trying to figure out how to run the “wet” part of a wet/dry vacuum. My friend had tried before, but all she got was a shower. The part she needed was thrown out by contractors working on her house. I found the instructions, looked at the parts list, discovered what was missing, and went to the store to buy it. I put the part on, and Voila! The machine worked. My friend could stop her back-breaking work of sopping up the water with a mop.

You see, it was raining. And raining. And raining. It rained most of the day. We thought maybe we would stay in and play games all day. Not the case. The finished basement was filling with water. There was probably ½ an inch already, and it continued to flow as we started mopping.

My friend filled at least four buckets of water through her efforts. Then, when we got the shop vac working, I started vacuuming the water. She took care of laundering the towels and blankets used to help dry the floor. But as we mopping and vacuumed, the water seeped and seeped.

And finally, finally, the water slowed. I vacuumed the area dry and my friend placed some towels and blankets along the wall to sop up the water that would begin seeping again at any moment. It worked for several hours. We changed the towels and blankets. At long last the water stopped. The second set of towels was still dry. The flooring was squishy for two days, though.

While we were bailing out the basement, my husband was stuck on a train for an extra two hours. One of the baggage car’s brakes were not working. Therefore, they needed to replace the car and switch the luggage. This change took two hours.

So, we went to Target. My friend and I, in a store, is a dangerous thing. I should think that the store loves to see us coming. We spent the entire time there, after the jaunt to the bank. We shopped our woes away.

My daughter rode the day well. She is a good baby.

You can see this day in one of two ways. A failure or an adventure.

I choose the latter.