Sunday, July 03, 2005

I like to listen to books on tape. I like the freedom it gives my hands. I can "read" a book while still doing things around the house and while driving. I think my favorite is John Grishom.

I am actually reading a book right now, though. Even though while listening to a book on tape I can still do things, there is nothing like reading a book for yourself. I can stop and reread a confusing part or a fantastic part. When I read I am in that court room; my stomach has knots with the young woman about to be married; my tears flow because of his sorrow. I am in the story. The experiences happen to me, too. And I love it.

I find it fascinating to be able to understand those markings on the pages. I simply cannot fathom how small and grey my world would be without the ability to read or write. It is incomprehensible to me that people make it through twelve years of schooling and cannot read or write their own name. How could a teacher let that happen? How could someone not notice?

To be able to write what is on my heart and on my mind is a wonderful gift. I thank God for all my abilities. And for His Word, which I can read and know to be true.