Monday, August 15, 2005

Well, we finally made it back to my brother's house.

We had a great time. We went to Almont, The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Telluride, Durango, Mesa Verde National Park, and The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve.

We drove and camped, drove and camped, and drove and camped some more. Through sun and rain. Though it seemed like more rain at times. And get this . . . my sister and I used a cargo bag on the roof of my car. That is all fine and good. But since there is no roof rack, we cinched it to the roof with straps. The fun thing about that is, that when it rained, which was often, the straps wicked the water right into the car, creating four small waterfalls. But having the brilliant mind that I have, I came up with a brilliant plan. Use diapers. Yes, my sister and I wrapped diapers around the four straps. And get this . . . it worked. For the most part. We saw evidence on our vacation that water is rather persistent, so the water did try to find a way in anyway. We got out more diapers. I was most embarrassed when I had to stop at a toll booth and the diaper is hanging there in my face. I can just imagine what the lady was thinking.

And although we are back now, we are leaving tomorrow to head on home. Home. I like the sound of that. Not that I like the sound of three days of driving. But I am missing my husband.

And even before we get to bed, we have repacking to do, and shopping to do. We want to be ready, since we are aiming to leave by 7:00 am, or is it 6:00 am. Regardless, it's early. My sister and I are trying to make our stops on the way home short, save the one for lunch for my daughter. She needs time to crawl around. We took entirely tooooo long on our stops coming out here. We'll see how well we do going east.