Saturday, February 25, 2006

Today I had an enlightenment. Did you know that there is a right and a wrong pitch with which to talk? That's right. And if you talk in the wrong pitch for too long, it damages your vocal cords. Rest assurd, though, that most people talk in the right pitch. I also found that singing is the same way. If you sing in the wrong pitch, you can damage your vocal cords.

I went to a Choral Celebration today at Philadelphia Biblical University. I attended two workshops addressing singing techniqiues. Here is where I learned this valuable information. I have been singing tenor. But now I wonder if I should sing alto. I don't want to hurt my vocal cords. I dared not ask the instructor during the workshop, for fear of standing up in front of everyone and having to sing.

I thought that I would seek out my choir director and ask her opinion. She said I would make a great alto. So, next time I'm at choir, I'll give it a try.

I also heard an applicable lecture on Realizing Unity and Reconciliation in Worship by a man from Wheaton College.

He encouraged us to consider the question: Who inspires you? He talked of the kind of people who were reconcilers; people of courage, people or zeal, people of humility.

Soren Kierkegaard was quoted on worship:
True worship quite simply consists in doing God’s will. But that kind of worship was never to people’s liking. What occupies people in every age . . . is to arrange another kind of worship that consists of doing their own will, but in such a way that God’s name, calling upon God, is connected with it, whereby people think themselves protected against being ungodly—alas, although precisely this is the most definite kind of ungodliness. ~The Moment and Late Writings

He quoted Paul in Ephesians 5:21 "Submit to one another in reverence for Christ." He challenged us to think about if we do this in our congregations. Do we allow for our differences in worship, because we reverence Christ? Do we reverence Christ?

He quoted Jesus in John 17:20-26. Specifically verse 21, "that all of them may be one," verse 22b "that they may be one as we are one," and verse 23 "May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me." Jesus is praying for us, that my church be one.

He said that worship is an act of love and devotion to God. It isn't about us and how we feel. It's all about God. Edification and annunciation are byproducts of worship. God is the audience, the congregants are the performers, and the pastors and leaders are the prompters. ~Kierkegaard

We also sang "The Servant Song" by Richard Gillard. http://www.audiblefaith.com/pages/sg852958

There was a time for question, and another attendee brought up corporate sanctification. Do we come to church to sanctify only ourselves or our brothers and sisters in Christ as well? Shouldn't individual sanctification be the means to corporate sanctification?

I have a lot to consider.