Monday, February 06, 2006

We finally made it to the cabin this weekend. I much enjoy this break from the everyday. I packed and got our car ready by 9:10 am. I was quite proud of myself. We usually run over by at least an hour. We have been trying to get up there for a month. The weekends always had something else.

I had to have it done early, since we were going to look at the house again, this time documenting it on video. My parents had a looksee, too. Our plan was to head up after looking at the house, stopping at the bank, and getting gas. We left at a favorable hour and arrived before dinner time.

The heating bill for the cabin is ridiculous, especially since no one lives there. So, to help not run up the propane bill, we used the fireplace to heat the cabin. This is all well and good when you can build a fire and keep one burning. Our Friday night attempt left us a little cold. Our Saturday attempt was nice and toasty. Our Sunday attempt was in between the two. It also helps immensely to have dry firewood and kindling and enough newspaper. I highly recommend dry wood.

Our daughter had a grand time exploring. This was her first trip up since learning to walk. She was everywhere checking out everything, including the inside of a trash can. Gratefully, the cabin is fairly childproof. We only had to move a few things.

She did however find the knobs on the gas stove rather interesting. She liked to turn them, succeeding once in turning a burner on. I knew something was amiss when I didn't hear her anymore.

We also did well in our timing for coming home. We were not unreasonably late getting home. Did I say I always enjoy a weekend at the cabin?