Sunday, March 04, 2007

Today was a yummy day. The K Family decided to join the B parents for a pancake breakfast at John James Audubon Center at Mill Grove. Little did we know that we would be tasters of pure maple syrup on our pancakes and privy to three ways of gathering maple sap - Native American, Colonial, and modern. I vote for modern.

In fact, we have a maple tree, and we bought a tap. This is the maple sap season, so we are going to give it a whirl. I believe to get 1 litre of syrup, one needs to gather around 40 litres of sap (sorry the site I looked at is in metric.) And a mature maple tree produces about 40 litres of sap in a season. It will definitely only be a hobby, probably a short one.

Our tongues did smile this day. E got to run around and release some pent up energy. She had a grand time. It was a beautiful day for an outing, even an impromptu one. And we thought all we were doing was getting pancakes.

We also took a 2 and a 1/2 year old's attention span tour of the Audubon house. I perused the museum shop, purchasing three booklets - Bird Finder, Flower Finder, and Berry Finder to help me keep up on my environmental prowess. I am set for my outdoor expedition. Really, what I want to do is teach my young one about God's awesome creation. I already have some other "Finder" booklets. Happy identifying.