Monday, January 07, 2008

It was pointed out to me by P, and I have been very reticent to admit it. I have been making a laundry mistake . In my mind I have been trying to insist she is wrong, but unfortunately evidence is in my own drawers.

Not only does the dryer shrink things, but washing in warm or hot water does also. I hadn't been able to figure out how shirts I have never dried are now smaller than when purchased. Then I thought about P's accusation about me shrinking her unmentionables because I washed them in warm water. How much harm could warm water do to fabric? Apparently it shrinks it. My brain says it's just warm water. I could see hot water doing some shrinking, but warm water? Yet, there my clothes (and her unmentionables)are - smaller.

The other thing my brain has to get around is washing with cold water. It just doesn't seem right. Will it be as clean? I know Tide makes the cold water detergent, but that is costly. I generally now use warm water as I begin filling up the wash tub, but then switch it to cold.