Monday, September 29, 2008

I wrote this before I found out I wasn't pregnant, but I am posting it after.

Progesterone is something they have us IVF patients take. I don't like taking it. I won't go into why. But I thought I'd have a look-see as to what it does for me.

Progesterone-like steroid medication has a variety of effects on the immune system. This type of medication:

  1. Blocks inflammation that can lead to scarring and damage to the placenta

  2. Blocks the T cells and the B cells (lymphocytes) that can cause rejection of the placenta

  3. Blocks the natural killer cells from releasing factors such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF) that can damage the placenta and the lining of the uterus

  4. Prevents lymphocytes from wandering into the placenta, sticking there and doing damage

  5. Causes an increase in hCG production by the placenta, and hCG and progesterone block the killing power of NK cells

  6. Prevents prostaglandin production by the uterus and stops contractions from occurring

  7. Causes the cervix to produce a cervical plug that is rich in antibodies, which prevent germs and viruses from gaining access to the baby and the placenta

Looks like I'll take the progesterone when they tell me. It's my little army in there getting the place ready.

No comments: