Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Remembering

I find it interesting how a smell can remind you of things long ago.

Today, we are having bagels (Lender's) for lunch, Ellie's idea. [Lender's onion bagels the best onion bagels, in my opinion, because the onions are in the bagel not just on it.] Every time I have them, I am reminded of a time when I was a young girl. My mother gave us, my brother and sister and I, bagels for lunch, and we ate them in the family room while we watched "Swiss Family Robinson." I sat against the couch, probably on a blanket, with my little metal lap tray. Of course, it was a Lender's onion bagel with cream cheese. I think that when I watch "Swiss Family Robinson" I remember having a bagel while I watched.

The sound of a wood thrush also brings along memories. This one is not of a specific time, but a place. My grandparents' cabin in the Poconos. I'd sit on the porch swing with Grandpop and just listen to the sounds of the woods - the different songbirds, the rustling of leaves as squirrels and chipmunks scurried about, the trees swaying and creaking. Sometimes I think you could even hear the motor boats on the lake. All precious memories to me.

No comments: