Monday, October 06, 2008

Gary and I are going to be more disciplined. At getting to bed by 10:00 pm, and reading our Bibles in the morning, for starters.

This past week we did quite well, with only one night closer to 11:00 than 10:00. The plan did not go as well over the weekend. I guess we tend to be more lenient with ourselves when there is a chance to sleep in. The earlier bedtime is key during the week, though. So we'll see how it goes.

The Bible reading is something I continually struggle with, especially being the mother of two preschoolers. Gary does better at it then I do.

[Speaking about sleeping in, we moved the clock radio to the opposite wall. We had it on the wall shared by Ellie's room. She'd hear it and wake up. The move has been helpful, since Ellie doesn't wake up as often now.]

My other discipline is using technology less, mostly the computer. I am on it way to much. I find the computer and Internet to very helpful tools. But like everything, too much of something isn't good. I turn the computer on before breakfast and sometimes spend the whole morning on it. Meanwhile the kids are getting into things, and I end up yelling at them. But really it's my fault, I wasn't watching them. So, I started my timeout from computers on Friday. I never turned it on, nor on Saturday. Not until tonight at dinner did we flip the switch. And once this baby was purring, I felt the call to check email, to check the Internet for something.

Really it's a problem. My plan is to not even turn it on until after lunch when the kids are napping, and then shut the cabinet doors once nap time is over. I may have to shut it down instead of just closing the cabinet doors, but we'll see.

It all started with the book I started reading, "Shepherding a Child's Heart," by Tedd Tripp. It was in the chapter about goals I have for my children. The main goal I should have for my children is that they glorify God and enjoy him forever. The other stuff comes when that goal is met. So, I starting thinking . . . do I glorify God in all areas of my life? Not hardly. I have become like the Israelites. Instead of forcing the Canaanites out like God told them to do, they lived among them. And they were influenced by them. They took up idols and turned from God. I have let things that are ungodly influence me.

So, back to computers. My computer has become an idol in my life. I hadn't really thought of it that way before typing this post, but it's true and hard to admit. I used to think that I never really had idols in my life. Obviously not a big golden statue. But anything, ANYTHING, that takes over God's place in my life is an idol.

And I want it to stop! There are other things that will be changing, too. But right now, that is the biggest.

What are your idols?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. Great book! It sounds like you are having a similar experience that I did when I read it; I began to realize that the life/lifestyle that Tripp is calling us to have before our kids is the life that I wanted as well. I wanted to change because it would be good for Adah, but I also wanted to change because I could see that God was calling me to change. Michael Card says this:

"Knowing everything that lurks in the darkness before him, Jesus in his humanity says, “This is not what I want.” What else does “nevertheless not my will but thine be done” mean if there was not a genuine conflict between two wills, Jesus’ will and the Father’s will, there in the garden?

The first seed of the victory won on the cross of Christ was sown in the garden. That seed was the radical obedience of the Son. The term radical obedience implies not doing what you want to do but doing the last thing in the world you want to do!"

Ultimately I see the greatest idol in my life is myself: My goals, My career, My family, My entertainment, My comfort, My faith. My will constantly edges God to the left and tries to somehow fit me into the picture and onto the throne. That's a good way to lose your life (according to Matthew 10:39). I admire your diligence to pursue grace and pursue the cross in this very selfless way. Your children will be blessed for it. You will be grace right in front of them; they will not only hear it from you but they will see it in your life and cannot refute the work God is doing there. What a mighty work! Praise God!