Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our Garden - Take 2

Here are the photos from working the garden the first time. Now the only thing that came up from the planting of vegetables we did on April 27th are 6 tomato plants and possibly a melon of some sort. If you remember from that post I said we planted tomatoes, peppers, peas, green and wax beans, Lima beans, lettuce, carrots, onions, garlic, butternut squash, yellow squash, cucumbers, mint, basil, dill, oregano, rosemary, thyme, savory, and stevia. And the only thing that came
up are 6 tomato plants, a melon plant and maybe some stevia (I don't really know what stevia looks like, so I don't know if the plant growing there is it.) Part of the problem, I know, is that most of the seeds were too old. We were hoping that they would grow anyway. But not so much happened.

We also had some volunteers. At least 10 tomato plants have come up that we didn't plant. They are scattered throughout the garden and along the property fence. I plan to move them to the tomato rows when they get big enough. Now, I am not sure if we planted that melon plant or not, because I can't remember what we planted where on that side of the garden, and I can't find the paper on which I wrote it. I tend to think it came up on it's own.




When we returned from our anniversary weekend, we had a nice green garden - of weeds. I got to work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to set the garden to rights. Lest you think I did a whole lot of work, I only was able to garden during nap time, which is why it took so long. I weeded, hoed, reworked the rows (the correct way this time,) bought new vegetable and herb plants and new seeds, bought another soaker hose, planted the plants and seeds, laid out the soaker hose, and took pictures. Ellie again planted cauliflower seeds. She is very excited to grow that vegetable. I hope she is as excited about it when its sitting on her plate.

This time the garden will hopefully give us a bounty of tomatoes, peppers, green beans, peas, Lima beans, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, butternut squash, cantaloupe, yellow squash, zucchini, stevia, dill, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, and mint. [The mint actually came up in a flower pot I had stashed away.]























I am more confident in the garden this time around. I also am hopeful that weed control will go better as well.

No comments: