Wednesday, April 07, 2010

It's gardening time

On Sunday at Gary's Dad's house, I mostly watched and helped some while Judy gardened. She does square foot gardening and makes it look so easy. She has quite a set up, and I am slightly envious.

But she set me up. I brought home her book, the tilling Mantis, the square frame, some mesh to keep birds from stealing seeds, a little more know-how, some seeds and plants, and a measure of enthusiasm.

Here you see what I started with. A garden full of last year's leaves. This will not happen again. Getting all those stupid leaves out of there was a pain. Then running the Mantis through the packed down dirt wasn't fun. I would have preferred an actual rototiller.






Take notice that in the above photo the garden is full of leaves and in this photo the garden is free of leaves and there is an appearance of leaf bags by the camper.

I've placed the flagstone tile reused from AJ's foyer in the garden. It now makes a nice, if quite hot when sun baked, path through the garden. You can also see the square frame and kale. We are going out on a limb growing kale (and turnips.) It isn't a vegetable we go looking to buy, but hear it is quite healthy. So, we are giving it a whirl.


And here you can see (sort of) the drip hose placed throughout the garden.

I have planted most of our early seeds. And I am pleased with my progress. We are hoping for a better harvest this year. Or at least a better germination record.

Josh was my hose runner and Ellie helped fetch and plant. I keep reminding them of the story of The Little Red Hen.

2 comments:

Claire Boyles said...

I have some fab kale recipes. Turnips too. . .they're really good young and tender. I'll send them along. You'll love it, don't worry.

Becky said...

Alright. I won't neglect the kale and turnips.