Monday, October 11, 2010

A small farm dream

I don't know if it's actually a dream of ours or not, but Gary is taking a class on it. I would be taking it also, except for we don't have anyone to watch the kids. The class is suppose to help you decide if a small farm is the way to go. His homework this past week was to interview a farmer. Gary said he didn't know any, so he'd have to skip that part. I think he was thinking of large scale, but I reminded him of my brother and sister-in-law. They have a small farm, are feeding families produce through CSAs and are raising some livestock. Farm indeed.

We would like to have chickens, and I also like the idea of bees. Though Gary likes honey, he is not at all interested in having needles with wings around.

We really like the idea of a cow, but there is more involved there. But through this class Gary found out about miniature cattle. And that is possible for our small farm dream.

Here are two little guys next to a fence. As you can see, they are quite shorter than regular size cattle. They eat less food, require less land, and produce much less milk.

And the added bonus is they are so cute.

No comments: