Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Toasty Fire

We had a fire Monday night. It was toasty, and we all enjoyed sitting in front of it.

I suggested we sing some hymns, and Ellie piped up that I should play my flute too. I'd play one stanza and then sing all the verses. Then I read from the book 101 Things Jesus Has Done for You. And Ellie wanted to read from the Bible, so I read the passage from John, which corresponded to the reading from the 101 things book.

We all prayed and then the kids went bed. It was a lovely family time.

I looked up how to bank a fire to save the coals for the next morning. It worked. The hot coals from Monday night's fire lasted until the following night, while being banked several times.

But last night we decided to let it go out. It's still not really cold enough during the day for a fire. Yesterday the novelty of trying to bank the fire was the main reason I kept it going all day.

It's gotten cold enough at night, though. We've had frost several times now.

No comments: