Monday, March 07, 2011

Picnic

Today was another snow day for Ellie. And I mentally prepared myself for a day with the two of them together all day.

The morning was limited TV time and pretend play.

Around lunchtime they started acting secretive. And even though they were hardly keeping any secrets, I played along, like I didn't know that they were dragging a table and three chairs outside. Or making the plates and cups disappear.

It was a big surprise when they led me outside with my eyes closed to discover our picnic lunch on the porch.

And although it was sunny, it was NOT picnic weather. It was only 35 degrees and breezy. But they had been outside playing and thought that eating out there would be fun too. In the photo, Josh looks to be in pain, but he's really smiling his goofy smile. That's generally all I get these days from him, if I'm lucky.

It was a quick lunch. Josh actually finished inside. And Miss I Can Stand It, took off her coat to prove it.

A few hours later, I decided it was time for a proper outdoor activity. The kids suited up in winter gear. And proceeded to go play in the water in the ditches. I hadn't even gotten outside to join them before they had wet feet. Snow boots do not keep feet dry and warm when immersed in water.

Our big outdoor activity was suppose to be a walk, but it turned into an investigation of all the area water ditches. Their idea was to see where all the water goes. We got out our plastic boats to watch them float down the hill. The boats were too big, but the kids didn't give up trying to give them a voyage. They both paid no mind to foot or hand getting dunked. Just sloshed right through the water.

Both had drenched boots, socks, and mittens. But they didn't complain about wet appendages and would gladly go investigate the water again tomorrow.

They just might request rain boots instead.

No comments: