Monday, July 01, 2013

Kombucha


I have had a small, hmm, obsession is too strong a word, interest in kombucha (I pronounce it kŏm’bū’chah) since I first heard about it.

To start with, it is a fermented tea that contains antioxidants and boosts the immune system.  It's also fizzy!  Bonus! 


But please do not get hung up on it's looks.  It can be off putting.

You can buy it at Whole Foods or Giant for over $3.00 a bottle.  Or you can make your own.  But first you need a SCOBY.  What is that you wonder?  It's an acronym for Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast.  It is what ferments the tea.  And you either buy one, make one, or get one from a friend.  It's the thing floating on the top there.

Short on funds here, so I made one.  Lovely, isn't it?  I have read that homemade ones don't make as good kombucha as bought ones from specialty sites.  Oh well, I won't know the difference until I buy one and make some.

Click here for the How To!  It really isn't hard, just a lot of waiting.  You brew tea, cool, add starter kombucha, and the scoby, and wait.  And wait and wait and wait.  7 to 14 days of waiting. 



 All ready to wait.
We'll see you in week!






1 comment:

J said...

We tried our's last night and it was good! How'd your's go? We're going to attempt to make another new scoby this week, to have two going each week. Fun!