Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Treasure Hunt

First, you take a plain piece of paper.
Mine looked like parchment.
 
Than you draw a map.
I used parts of the house and transformed them for on the map.  The couch and chair became hills.  The stairs became mountains.  The bedrooms were caves.

Crinkle it up.
I balled it up with my hands.

Burn it.
I used our clicker and burned it at spots along the edges and made holes around the middle section.

Write a poem about the map on the back.
In your hand you hold a map.
Beware it may lead to a trap!
It will guide you to and fro,
Follow it well, where you go.



Roll it up and tie it.
I carefully rolled it and tied it with natural raffia (I had to look it up too.)










Hide it.
I chose to stash it on the header of a basement window in the darkest section of the basement.  Then I told them a story about how sometimes you can find treasure maps in old houses.  Usually in basements.  I asked them where they thought a map might be hidden.  I suggested to look in the joists, in the darker places.

Then you set the kids free to find the map and treasure.  Josh was very animated.  They both questioned me numerous times about the age of the map.



Ellie is drinking from her treasure.  A collapsible cup, with pill container that contained two quarters, which broke before she even got to hold it.  Josh accidentally dropped it on the hardwood floor.  I think glue will make it good as new.








No comments: