Friday, November 24, 2006

I highly recommend that if you have an epidural to take away pain during labor, that you not let the catheter get stuck in your back.

Yes, lucky me had that happen. After my son was born, I was all cleaned up, and almost ready to head to my post-partum room, the anesthesiologist came in to remove the epidural catheter. Well, he pulled and tugged, had me sit this way and that, told me to lie down and curled up, then pulled and tugged some more. But he just couldn't get that thing out. So, I got to sleep with it still in my back.

I also recommend not sleeping with an epidural catheter in your back. Not a comfortable sleep you will have, especially if you have just given birth and still have your IV needle in your wrist, which the nurses won't take out because you might have to go to surgery in the morning. Never mind that they could just put it in again later or that it wasn't a good line anymore anyway, or that it was really hurting.

I am truly disappointed in the care I received with my stay this time. When I had my daughter, I enjoyed my stay in the hospital. The nurses were wonderful and caring. This time I expected the same treatment, but didn't find it. I was on hold to have my water broken, because of a mother having a Cesaerean for twins. It took forever to get my epidural, I guess because the anesthesiologist was busy with the Cesaerean.

Another recommendation is that if an epidural catheter gets stuck in your back, make sure that when they finally get it out, that they show you the end to ensure it all came back out, and that a piece wasn't left inside you. Saturday morning, the spinal surgeon came in to take a look see at my stuck catheter. He was able to do some pulling and tugging and get it out. He was also nice enough to show me the end, so I knew (not that I really knew, because I don't know what it looked like before it was inserted into my back, to verify that it was all still intact coming out) that nothing came off in my back.

I was also finally able to be rid of the IV needle. And now thanks to that being left in my arm overnight, I have a numb spot higher up on my arm and a shooting pain when I reach for things. It is slowly going away. The advice I got for it - apply heat several times a day.

So, now I am sure you are all pining to have an epidural.

Interestingly, my two experiences with pain blockage of epidurals was different. When I had E, I didn't feel the contractions once I had the epidural and I don't remember feeling so numb. Not so with J. The epidural took the pain away to begin with while giving me numbness, but after awhile I could feel the contractions again. I didn't like that so much. I was suppose to not feel them. With E I couldn't really feel her being born, but I sure could with J. I did push for a lot less time with J. I also think I am healing faster this time.

I find it very curious that I had completely different experiences at the same hospital, in the same room, two years apart. Different doctors too.

My friend P said I should pick a different hospital for my next child.