Thursday, November 09, 2006

My daughter is getting used to her bed. My husband is working to get her furniture ready to put in her room. I am hoping that I don't have to wait much longer to have my baby.

I had an OB appointment today. I am almost 2 cm dilated. That of course means nothing in the world of having babies. I could go into labor any minute or make my OB appointment next week. My friend P has it all planned out. I will go into labor approximately at 9:00 am this Saturday morning. This will give her time to sleep in before driving up to be here. Depending on how long I labor, it also will possibly give us time to play some games, maybe go shopping at Wal-Mart (we did this my last pregnancy.)

I just want to have my baby in the morning on an odd number day. Such as tomorrow morning or Saturday morning. I like odd numbers better than even, and I want to have as much time at the hospital after my son is born as possible. Earlier in the day gives you the most time. I know this from having E. She was born at 7:41 am. I had all day Sunday, Monday and half of Tuesday at the hospital. If she had been born at 7:41 pm, I would have missed out on 12 hours of recovery time. I am assuming that they don't discharge you in the late evening. Anyway, I had a very good hospital experience, so I want to get the most of it again.

I am still trying to decide on epidural or no epidural. I could go in and say give me drugs. Or wait and see like I did with E. I go back and forth. I know I won't get one right away, at least. I also know that generally when my body is in pain, I take something for it. Why should childbirth be any different? I am questioning this whole natural birth experience idea.

First, I think the term "natural birth" is incorrectly used. I had a natural birth, I just didn't feel all of it. What they should call it is a pain medication free birth. The only kind of not natural birth I can think of is a cesarean, because the baby is born through a cut in the abdomen, instead of the birth canal.

Second, do women who don't want pain medication during labor also not use anything for their entire pregnancy? Meaning if they had heartburn, no antacids? If they had back or head aches, no acetaminophen? If they had hemorrhoids, no witch hazel? Did they try to make themselves more comfortable during pregnancy, but not during labor? Just wondering.