Sunday, November 02, 2008

Trying to make some money

I was a vendor at a craft fair this weekend. I made chocolate candy. Chocolate covered pretzels and raisins, peanut butter cups, and assorted shaped candies, a few with peanuts. I used milk and dark chocolate, white, green and red candy melts. The white, green, and red candy melts did not have a very nice melted consistency. They were much, much harder to use than the chocolate ones, and I had a few messes.

I also put out my prints and note cards from last year, the ones that never sold. My note cards sold better than I hoped. Last year I had them in packs of four. This year I had them all laid out individually.

To my way of thinking, if I sold anything, I'd do better than last year. I made over $70.00. Unfortunately, none of it was profit. It just paid for all my costs. Overall I did not enjoy the candy making process and do not care to repeat it. Although I have no problem eating leftovers.

I did get some help with my photography. The vendor next to me gave me the names of several websites where I could print my stuff for whole sale prices. She also gave me pointers. And other bonus was a young woman came by interested in a print that would go over her mantle. She liked two of my prints and wanted to know if they could be printed that large.

I looked into it and found that, yes, they could be printed that large. Now just need to figure out how much to charge.

Another opportunity has come from my sister. She knows a cafe owner who would be interested in displaying my photography. And on the first Friday of every month cafes will feature an artist's work. He said he might be interested in featuring my work! How exciting is that! And, it's a little intimidating.

No comments: