Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vacation

Last week we went to the cabin for the week with my parents. It was a great time away. Gary and my dad, however, didn't have so much as a vacation as a work week. You see, the outside cabin steps, being over thirty years old, have rotted. They needed to be replaced. So while the women and Josh relaxed, the men worked.

Mom and I, with a little help from the kids, painted the front window, twice. The twice should have been once, but since the cabin is part of an association and white is not an allowed window color any longer, the white we painted the window was in violation. We had to change it. We got paint chips, picked a color, got it approved and repainted.

Gary took Ellie on her first fishing trip. My dad got the poles ready and informed Gary how to use them since he hasn't been fishing either. Although he took a bucket and a fish chain, he really really hoped not to catch anything. Not to worry, they only used lures and didn't let them get too deep. But she had a grand time. We met up with them after a couple of hours and had a picnic lunch and a swim.

We didn't have much use of the computer. We had low signal strength. Couldn't really do much, so we didn't really try. One might wonder why we took the laptop at all, but I was hoping to blog, and we had a bill to pay. Got the bill paid, but that was about it.

One thing I did get to do was read. I started again on The New Strong-Willed Child. For some reason I stopped reading after a short time. I have found my sanity again. Dobson talks as though he's met Ellie. I am loving reading this book. Over and over I relate. I hardly related to stories in Tedd Tripp's book. [No way my child stands still and takes her spankings.] Though his principles are excellent, I didn't know how to apply it in my situation. I also got some reading in on When Sinners Say "I do."

In all, it was a relaxing week.

No comments: