Monday, February 08, 2010

Farming . . . . us?

I have it in my mind to buy some land, get some chickens, pigs, a cow, bees and grow feed, a garden and plunk myself down. Use wood to heat the house, have a well and septic system, and build a windmill. Gary came up with the idea, but he isn't as fired up as I am to do it.

It mostly all started when Gary interviewed for a job in York, PA. We found a house with over 6 acres, with a barn and most of the things needed for the above list. We still don't know if he will be offered the job. They said they'd let us know by the end of February. For us, it all depends on the offered salary. We aren't making ends meet with his current job, and it recently got worse.

My brother and sister-in-law's foray into farming and reading my sister-in-law's blog about it might have started us thinking. It definitely shows us that farming is not for the weak. But we aren't going to try to make a living with it. Gary still plans on keeping his job. So, I don't know if it would even work. Of all my above plans, the chickens and bees would be doable. And even the windmill. Gary would still rather buy pork somewhere, than see it out in the backyard.

And than seeing Food, Inc. was the final decider (for me) that we needed to do something. If Gary isn't offered that job, than I am all ready to look for land in this area. Gary, the level headed one, more patient one, says to wait. Especially for The Parents' Plan. My parents' have a retirement plan that involves us. And it's a good one. It's just at least four years out.

I also realize that much planning needs to come before anything else. I know, I know. What's the rush? Steps at a time. Right now, buy the local grown meat and veggies. Do it myself later.

1 comment:

Claire Boyles said...

Hooray! I'm all for it, whatever it turns out to be. Can you have backyard chickens in your parents' development? If not, you should start going to some HOA meetings. . .