Tuesday, February 16, 2010

There and Back Again

My visit to Myrtle's got a late start. With the snow, I decided to leave Friday morning, not that the roads were still bad. Gary wanted me to wait. So I packed up Thursday and was ready to leave bright and early Friday morning. NOT! Even though I was mostly packed, I still left later than I wanted to. It always works out that way.

But we made it there in time for lunch and naps. Although I can't remember exactly what we did all weekend, Myrtle could probably chronicle the entire weekend to the exact minute. I know we watched Dr. Who, Luther, RV, and played many games. I know we played game. I won at Rummikub and Pass the Pigs (a new game I taught her,) she won at Phase 10 and Skip-bo. We talked Lutheran doctrine and breaking silences. We stayed up far too late for having children with us.

The kids and Kashi enjoyed our walks in the evening. It was good to be out and about in the fresh albeit chilly air.

Saturday night Josh thoroughly believed he should have his way and made certain we knew it. By the time he wailed himself to sleep, he had divested himself of his pajamas and the bed of its sheets, bed rail, and stuffed animals. He made sure to keep hold of his blankie, which was shoved firmly in his mouth. He did not even wake up when Myrtle wrestled him back in his pajamas.

Sunday found us attending a different confessional Lutheran Church than Myrtle's church. I knew I would not be sharing in Holy Communion, since I am not a confessional Lutheran, but I forgot Myrtle has told me that the pastor will give a blessing instead. All four of us knelt at the alter and the three of us received blessings, while Myrtle received the body and blood of Christ. I was quite moved as my children received a blessing, then as I did as well. I made sure to take a tissue with me. I wish I could remember what he said.

The whole of Lutheran doctrine is growing on me, but I don't know what to do with it. I haven't figured out how to go about learning more and getting my questions answered. The closest confessional Lutheran church is about 50 min. away from my home. Also Gary isn't quite on board with Lutheran doctrine as I am, so he isn't really interested in trying out the church.

Myrtle also gave me some new books for my Lutheran library. I have quite a collection for a non-Lutheran. But they are a treasury.

We lazed about some more on Monday. And eventually I packed up and started the drive home. Again it was later than I wanted but not too bad. I don't like driving at night, since I already have a tendency to get sleepy while driving, and I have more trouble seeing at night. Also, it was a school night and mornings are already trying with getting Ellie ready. I didn't want her to be extra tired, nor me.

No comments: