Saturday, August 26, 2006

We received our first digital camera for a baby shower gift. I was very excited to join the digital world. I liked the idea of being able to take pictures and not worry about if they were perfect, because I could just delete them if they weren't. I could also take as many more than I would if it was just film.

Well, I have been taking pictures with a digital camera for over two years now. If I had to make a guess, I'd say I have stored on my computer over 600 photos. I have printed several here and there, but I have not printed them as a whole. Which means I have a lot of work ahead of me. My goal is to print them by Christmas.

I have held back in printing, I think because I haven't taken the time to "fix" them yet. Fix the red eye, crop, or alter it in the way I want to. I think that I should not be worried about most of that at this point. I will take care of the red eye, and possible other facial flaws, but mostly print them as is. I am far too behind to be particular.

I also have been concerned with naming and saving them by date. And what about the ink and photo paper? - it all has to be just right. All are excuses that have put me behind where I should be. I could send them out to a place on the web. I have considered it. But I think I will do it myself.

Anyway, I am printing as I write. 120 photos of our vacation to Ocean Isle Beach. I figured I'd start with them. I had to do it in two printing lots, because the printer couldn't handle 120 at once. My printer doesn't make me the happiest person, either. I think I would have chosen a different one, if I could go back. But you don't always know until you start using it.

Anyway, this little photo printing session has taken me over three hours, with renaming photos, fixing them, selecting them for printing, reselecting some since the printer balked at 120 at once, and monitoring the printing. I am guessing that the printer will take over an two hours to print all the photos. It's been going for over twenty minutes and only 11 are printed. Actually if you do the math, 2 minutes to print a photo, it will take 4 hours to print 120 photos. Oh my, the last photo took 3 minutes, which averages to 6 hours of printing. I may have to go to bed, and let it finish while I sleep.