Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Kulp Record

Generally Ellie and Josh's bedtime routine lasts about an hour. Even when we try to be speedy.

Tonight the kids were on our nerves. Actually it's been all day. They weren't really naughty, just very active and boisterous. So, we decided that bedtime was going to happen soon and quickly. Gary says it was 25 minutes tonight, but I'll be generous with 30 minutes. They each had spankings to start with, then baths (no play time,) teeth brushing, hair brushing, pajamas and diapers, rocking and prayers.

And here we sit with so much time, we don't know what to do with ourselves.

We could admire our handiwork of the day. Gary handily installed a new outlet in our kitchen. Now we have 7. Our previous ones weren't the best placed things in the kitchen. Well actually maybe not much is well placed in the kitchen. The main outlets that we had access to from the counter are in one corner. The other two are near the switch for the kitchen light, but you have to go through or around a book shelf to reach it from the counter. Not very convenient. We also have tile around the kitchen, which doesn't lend for easy installation of outlets. We decided to move the microwave to a corner of the kitchen that was more out of the way, but it had no outlets. We discovered there was no tile on that wall, and there was a space to feed wire. So Gary went to work, and there you have it. A new outlet. And no extra trips to the hardware store. Everything actually went as planned. An uncommon occurrence here in our house.

While Gary worked on that project, I shopped. For food and household accessories. I found Yoder's Farm Market, which has nicely prices and naturally raised chicken eggs and beef, which I purchased for our eating pleasure. The beef I found at another place a while ago was so not economical.

At another farm market (both of these places are just really privately owned stores with the name "farm market." And I make this distinction, because when I think of a farm market, I see rows of tables and lots of farmers and their wares.) I found reasonably priced unbleached flour and whole wheat flour. I am going to try making bread more often and thought more flour to be helpful.

Then lastly I made my way to Impact thrift stores. I found a glass baking dish for all the bread I will be making, another small cheese grater for all the cheese we grate, some plastic bowls for the kids to use, and two clothing items for me, and yes, they are "household accessories."

I also remembered that I wanted to fix our dustbuster. Which I was able to accomplish once I got the thing open.

No comments: