Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Looking Healthy

We make our own ketchup, salad dressing, soups, sauces, pickles, desserts, to name a few. I have, unsuccessfully, been trying to get a loaf of sandwich bread right but am currently taking a break from that. We add to our list when we find something else that has stuff we don't want to consume. Like last night, we made tomato soup. Most people just open a can and never even think to make it themselves. The soup wasn't hard to make, and it made enough for two meals. If you want to try it, let me know. Since seeing how easy it is to make freezer jam at MOPS, I will now be making that.

Keeping away from the processed foods finds us making a lot from scratch, using mostly natural and organic ingredients. I read almost every label that goes in my cart; it can take me a while in the store. I try to buy local food, at farm stands. If I can, I buy meat from local farmers as well. If I can't, I buy the antibiotic-free meat at the store, and hope that the free range label actually means free range. I even ask for nutritional information at the deli. Some people might call me obsessed. I think not. I believe I have a right to know what's in my food.

A few weeks ago at my doctor's appointment, my doctor surprised me by asking if I had a healthy diet, if I watched what I ate. Apparently whatever I am doing is making a difference.

Side note on high fructose corn syrup - have you seen the commercials for it? Where they try to tell you it is just like cane sugar and your body processes it the same. That it is fine in moderation. Well, tell me HFCS industry, since you put your product in nearly everything, how can I only consume it in moderation? In looking up info on HFCS, I did learn one thing: subjects gained more weight when HFCS was in their water and their food, then when it was only in their food. So, the first place to rid HFCS is from your drinks.

No comments: