Monday, November 01, 2010

A peck and a half of apples

That many apples gets you almost 9 pints of applesauce and one apple pie. At least I think it was a peck and a half of apples. You can see the bags on the table. One is a peck; the other two are left overs from a peck, which I think equals about half a peck, give or take.

Here is the set up for our applesauce/pie production. Josh is modeling the apple corer/peeler/slicer. See below for video of the boy at work.





Mister ham bone asked me to take this one. Usually, I can hardly get him to stand still for a photo. He's saying, "Cheese."











Apples cooking down.











Straining the sauce.









Finished product. These are from the left over peck, since you still see the peck bag behind the jars.

The entire process took over 5 hours, interrupted only by lunch and getting Ellie off the bus. Though the apples were still cooking down at lunch, and sort of cooking down while I was gone to get Ellie, since for safety, I turned the stove off. I did the applesauce in two batches, with a pie in between.




I'm tired.

And to top it off, we made homemade tomato soup for dinner. Or Gary did, while I finished up the applesauce.

Of course we had some pie for dessert.

No comments: