Thursday, November 25, 2010

A turkey

A few weeks ago we purchased 5 chickens from a local farm. We were going to have one of those for Thanksgiving. But Gary decided he really wanted turkey, not chicken. So on Tuesday I went on a turkey hunt. We wanted a farm fresh turkey, but orders were already taken. I emailed four "local" (remember local around here could be 45 minutes or more away) farms. Two responded. One with a maybe. The maybe turned into a yes.

After a quick dinner of grilled cheese, we piled into the car and drove 40 minutes to Bohemia, PA. Our turkey is 15 lbs. Only four people will be eating it, two of whom hardly eat turkey. Needless to say we'll have leftovers. A lot of leftovers. We talked a bit with Annette. We learned how they started their farm endeavor. She also gave us two squashes. She told us the kind, but we forget it. All we remember is that she said the Amish call it dessert squash, because it's sweeter than most squash. Talking with her is like talking with my brother, Gary says. You ask them one question about the farm and their love of what they do spills out. We love it.

We then went to the grocery store, since we had forgotten the celery and onions for the stuffing.

Once home, we took a look at our bird and realized we had nothing big enough to roast the thing in. I made a second trip to Weis. They were not closed yet. At 10:00 at night, I picked up a few more things that were forgotten. Gary was concerned for my welfare, so I called him from the cell phone as I walked out the door, and we talked during my trip. While I was at the store, Gary started the roasting process for the pumpkins, squash, chestnuts, and bread.

After I got back, while Gary finished his roasting and such, we watched "Robin Hood." Bedtime came around 2:00 am.

No comments: