Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Sister of my Heart

While reading something my dear friend Myrtle wrote about me, I kept thinking "well of course, who wouldn't." If your friend needs help, who wouldn't give her help. If she's hot, cool her down. If she can't find something, help her look. If she's hurting, comfort her. If she finds solace in hymns, record yourself singing them and send them to her. If God's Word brings her peace, read it to her.

I makes sense to me to do these things. I don't find the things I do for my friend extraordinary. In fact, I remember the sinner I am, and think I can't possibly be a good friend.

But I grew up in a Christian home, Myrtle did not. I come from a family of people who do things for others. Myrtle does not.

So when our worlds collided through our friendship, her whole view of love and friendship was challenged. And continues to be. She struggles mightily with understanding my love for her. All the things that come naturally for me are foreign to her, even after 15 years. But Christ continues to work in her, reminding her of her baptism and what He's done for her. Letting her see, through me and other specific people He's placed in her life, that love is not the lies she's been taught.

Through her and her struggles, Christ is teaching me. I have a new understand of what Christ has done for me in my baptism, and what He is still doing for me. Baptism as a whole has changed for me. Baptism saves; how I didn't see this before astonishes me. Baptism is not just some thing we do to show we are followers of Christ. It is something He does for us. He writes His name on us, claiming us as His.

The Lord's Supper has also changed for me. I am taking in Christ's body and blood. For forgiveness. Cleansing me from my sin. Every time I take it in. It isn't an act I am doing to show I am His follower. He is doing the work, He is offering Himself. To take my sin, to give me forgiveness.

The proper distinction between law and gospel is another new thing for me. The law points out my sin, my need for a savior. The gospel is the grace and mercy I receive from Christ, in spite of my sin.

Loving another person is hard work. But it is also very easy. Myrtle is in my life because Christ brought us together. How can I not love her with the love Christ has for me?

No comments: