Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Parenting

Parenting is almost always foremost in my thoughts.  I want to listen to them and hear them.  I want them to know that the way they feel is okay.  I want to connect with them.  I want to pray for them and with them.  I want to be their safe place.  I want to be a source of their comfort.  I want to stay calm.

But a lot of the time, I am constantly frustrated at their complete inability to be perfect little obeying children.  "Yes, Mommy, I would love to eat my vegetables."  "No, Mommy, I never want to watch TV."  Yes, Mommy, I will go do my homework."  "Yes, Mommy, I will go do all my jobs."  Which of course is absurd on my part to expect them to be such. 

Too often I wait for them to take a breathe and start explaining why my way is the right way.  More often than not, my anger eventually flares when their emotions do.  I usually end up saying something to drive us apart.  Days sometimes go by when not a prayer is heard.  I sometimes see a look of fear on their face when they look at me.  "Calm" is not my middle name.

The start of school has been my "New Year's Resolution" time.

Some of my goals for this school year:
Be a better scheduler.  (My children do better with a schedule.)
Exercise at least three times a week.
Read God's word everyday.
Pray specifically each day for my children, using the Power of a Praying Parent as my guide.
Pray specifically each day for my husband, using the Power of a Praying Wife as my guide.
Volunteer.
Find a job.
Change the way I speak.
Learn about my camera and do more with my photography.
Learn to play the guitar.

So far I am mostly off to a good start.

2 comments:

Myrtle said...

I will be praying for your goals. Remember to be gentle with yourself on the days you don't quite reach them!

Becky said...

Upon my attic cleaning yesterday, I found my manual for the camera! I had wondered where it got to.