Saturday, May 28, 2011

A cracking sound

We had a bad storm last night. Gary had a meeting, so he wasn't here.

I could tell a storm was coming, by the wind picking up and the trees swaying.

After the kids were in bed, I sat down at the table minding my own business, when it started to rain. And either the drops were enormous and loud, or there was a bit of hail mixed in. I moved my delicate plants away from the edge of the porch.

Sitting back at the table I decided to light the oil lamp, in case the power went off. Within several minutes, the power went off. At this point it's thundering and lightening, blowing and raining. And thankfully the kids are sleeping through it.

Then I heard a cracking out back. I grabbed the flashlight and saw that the tree closest to the cabin had cracked halfway up and started falling. It was caught in a neighboring tree. I started freaking out. Crying and freaking out, I called my dad. Remember Gary isn't home and isn't phone accessible. I also heard cracking across the road, to the left and the right of the cabin.

Dad didn't quite know what to say to help me. He couldn't really do much 2 hours away, but just talking with him calmed me down.

I didn't know what the wind would do with the top of the tree, leave it alone or send it straight into the cabin. And it was hard to see whether it was actually a danger, since it was night, the power was going on and off, it was pouring down rain, and I was freaking out.

Gary did call me to let me know he was trying to get home, but downed trees were making it hard. It ended up taking him an hour and a half to get home, when it should have taken about 15 minutes. He told me to get out of the house. I asked him where I should go?

I woke the kids, and we ended up sitting in the basement waiting for him to get home. After he assessed the situation and realized my description of the tree was worse than it actually was, we went back into the house.







But we did all sleep in the living room that night.

The next morning we called a tree place to come chop it down. When they finally made it here, tree triage put it at the bottom of the list. Apparently trees actually on houses are more of an emergency. It is currently still stuck in the other tree and will be taken care of on Tuesday.




In the calm of daylight and storm free weather, one can see that the tree is not really a danger. It isn't actually cracked all the way through.

No comments: