Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Going herping


I didn't know there was a name for looking in vernal pools for tadpoles, frogs and such. But there is . . . herping.

There are programs at Promised Land State Park, one being In Pursuit of Amphibians. I thought the kids would enjoy looking for frogs. I signed us up.

We loaded snacks and rain boots in the car. I enjoyed myself as much as the kids did. It reminded me of my college days when I took Aquatic Biology.

These photos are from the first sight. I like the wood setting.

The second sight was a meadow filled with ticks. I didn't so much care for the second sight.

In all, the group of us found a couple of salamanders, some frog eggs (I found one blob,) a wood frog, a bull frog, and a spring peeper, a leech, some whirligig beetles, mosquito nymphs, tadpoles, and probably other creatures I can't remember.

I wanted to go buy rubber boots for me the next day and take the kids out again.

No comments: