Sunday, February 11, 2007

At least three weeks ago, I managed to gather, sort, wash, dry, fold, and put away laundry in one day. It doesn’t happen often, believe me, so it’s worth mentioning. Last week I had to take down laundry from the week before so I could hang the newly washed clothes.

Let’s see . . . what else. Usually what prompts me to clean the tub is not wanting my children to bathe in crud. (My husband and I don’t count, because we just stand in the tub. Actually, my daughter usually stands throughout her time in the tub, but that’s a different story.) And I don’t even want to think about how I am going to keep the toilets clean enough to let my daughter near them for potty training. She doesn’t seem to realize the importance of NOT touching a toilet anywhere but the lid and the flusher.

My girl is very helpful around the house. E likes to help me vacuum. We have a canister vacuum, and she likes to sit on it like it’s a horse. She also helps by pushing the button to retract the cord. She thinks it’s great fun.

She likes to dust with me. She pushes the “on” button for the dryer, turns on the water when I am ready to use the sink. E will help set the table and then help clean it off. She hangs up her coat and puts away her hat, scarf, and mittens.

She also helps with her brother. She picks out his clothes, helps hook him into his car seat and helps unhook him. She is his binkie bearer, fetching it form him and making sure it is safe to suck, by sucking it first. (She is even thoughtful enough to suck it in secret so his doesn’t get jealous.)

My girl is a great help for me, and I enjoy teaching her. It teaches me patients.