Sunday, February 11, 2007

My husband and I didn't really do much for Valentine's Day. We wished each other "Happy Valentine's Day!" but there were no exchange of gifts or cards. We did however get a night out the Saturday before 2-14-07 instead.

Our church sponsored a MOPS and Pops night out. It was for our MOPS moms and their spouses and other members of church who wanted to participate. We signed right up. My mom signed up to babysit. The evening babysitting was from 6-9:30. My mom came over early, so we could have more time together. Then she took the kids to church for us.

I had mentioned to G that I didn't expect him to come up with romantic outings on his own, but he could go on line to get some instead. Apparently he did. He planned our evening as a surprise for me. I love surprises. I was to pick a number, and he would start driving. As we drove we counted restaurants. We would stop and eat at the restaurant corresponding to the number I picked. Since we had some standards, I did change my number to a higher one once. Another idea he found was to find an historic area tour for a date. For some this may be boring, but not for us. My husband found Graeme Park, home of the only colonial home of a Governor still standing. They were holding Valentine's Day tours on Saturday night. My husband reserved us two spots.

It was a nice tour. The house was quite lovely and we saw it by candle and flash light, and in the words of our tour guide, "Much the way it would have been in the 1700s." (You know, with no electricity - except for the very bright spot light illuminating the entire side of the house.) Interestingly, even though the house is hailed as "the only surviving residence of a Colonial Pennsylvania Governor," our tour informed us not about the governor, but about Elizabeth Graeme Fergusson, whose father acquired the house sometime after the Governor Keith lived there.

The tour was a play of sorts. We were invited into glimpses of Elizabeth's life from a young girl through to her later adult life. We saw her as a young girl in love with William Franklin, Ben Franklin's son. This match was looked down upon by her father and other folks close to her family. We saw her accept a marriage proposal by William anyway. But with him going away to school, they would wait to wed until his return. Their marriage never came to be, for when William did return to the states he came with a bride. She wed Henry Hugh Fergusson much later in life. That turned out to be a sorry match, for he was a Tory and had an illegitimate child while married to Elizabeth. With her husband's traitorous ways, Elizabeth lost her house, but was allowed to live there provided she pay rent. I think she reclaimed ownership several years later, but I'm not sure.

The actors did rather well, especially the teens. In fact they did better than some of the adults. There was a scene where two men portrayed an officer in the army and a family friend. They used common language from the present, words and phrases that I am quite sure were not used in the 1700s. I didn't like that. If they are portraying the 1700s, than speak like they did, not they way do now.

When we got back to the visitor's center, there were snackies and some hot chocolate. We both took advantage of the food and warm drink to help warm our cold bodies (the house wasn't really heated, and it was a cold evening.)

Our tour was over and we still had time before we had to pick up the kids. So, we headed over to Borders. We wandered through the store, perusing books and stopped off at the cafe for some coffee (G) and iced tea (me).

We had a very nice date night together.