Friday, February 23, 2007

I am not getting as much sleep as I had hoped to on this vacation trip to my friend's. Apparently my daughter does not sleep well in her basement guest room. It is taking her way too long to fall asleep, and she is not sleeping as long in the morning. So, we are not getting the sleep we need, causing us both to be a bit irritable.

I was especially irritable this morning, when again both children woke at 6:15. After feeding my son, my daughter wanted to be in the pack-n-play. I reminded her that she wasn't getting out for while. She wanted to stay put. So, for an hour I tried to sleep, while hearing my daughter fussing and crying.

I had quite enough of it and spoke out of frustration when she wanted to get down off the bed. I told her I didn't care what she did, she could go play with knives. She responded very seriously, "They are dangerous. No play." I know, I know. Those words should never have been thought, let alone left my lips. My daughter's words diffused my ire. I took her in my arms, apologized, told her she was right and that I didn't mean what I said. I got up, and we came upstairs.

Last night P had some good words of wisdom about dealing with E's strong will. And not seven hours later, her words are lost and my frustration takes hold. I continually fail at keeping my frustration from getting in the way of disciplining my daughter.