Monday, January 05, 2009

All Natural

I have been searching for meat that has no antibiotics or hormones or other such things that I do not want my family to consume. I know that a local meat place has natural pork, alas I could not always locate it in the markets. While on their website to find retailers, I came across this description on the care of their pigs.

Our humane and special care of animals is an important part of Leidy’s Nature’s Tradition. The American Humane Association has awarded us their Free Farmed Certification because we raise our pigs in a healthy, low stress environment where they are free to express their normal behavior. They are provided with proper facilities, fresh water, sufficient space, adequate shelter, and comfortable resting areas.

I thought it slightly humorous, especially the 'free to express their normal behavior' part.

1 comment:

Claire Boyles said...

Yeah, except most times, animals raised for meat in this country are caged or confined in such high numbers that they can't express much behavior at all, let alone normal behavior. Pigs are rarely actually allowed to be pigs. You should try www.localharvest.com and see if there isn't a little farm like ours around there raising meat. And if you get a chance, you should read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. You might like it. Miss you guys!