Thursday, March 04, 2010

Smelling Coffee

I am glad yesterday is over. It was by far my worst day in a while. It all started Sunday night when my dear son decided he wasn't going to finish his dinner. OK, we thought he can have for dinner Monday night. Well stubborn boy said nothing doing. For the next two days he ate nothing. We set food before him, his uneaten dinner, but he wouldn't eat it.

As you can imagine, a child with no food in his belly is generally an unhappy one. His behavior and attitude wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though. Today I made things more unpleasant for him. For afternoon snack he said he'd eat. But he didn't, though he did drink milk. Now, milk and an empty stomach do NOT go together. He threw up the milk. That's disgusting was Ellie's comment. I concurred.

I was cleaning up vomit, trying to make dinner (not at the same time,) dealing with a disobedient child, I was done. But since I was the only adult around, I couldn't be done. When dinner was in the oven, Josh was in his room, Ellie was busy with a game, I went to my room for a time out. I listened to Pastor D chant the Psalms for Tuesday. It soothed and calmed me. I still had tears, though. For the way my day had gone, but also for what was yet to come. Gary wasn't home, and when he got home we wouldn't have much time before we all had to leave, and I'd come home to put the kids to bed by myself. He would be working with a guy from church, earning us a little extra money.

When Daddy did get home, however, extreme discipline was upon our son. We had had enough of his stubborn disobedience. He ate his dinner. Later for snack he ate one and a half bananas, a bowl full of yogurt, and a bunch of grapes. He would have eaten more had I set it in front of him. But it was bedtime.

More harrowing adventure and I was spent. Completely. I can downstairs and straightaway found my CDs and hunted for a Fernando Ortega CD Myrtle had made for me. Not finding it, I did see a Chris Rice one she made for me. I put it in, cranked the volume, and flopped on the couch.

This is the first song. [It's with sign language. It was the only version I found that was actually Chris Rice singing.]



Last thing I remember sayin’ bye to yesterday
Glad to see it over, pullin’ covers over my head
But what were You doin’ while I dreamt the night away
‘Cause I can tell that somethin’s different and
My eyes ain’t even open yet
I’m smellin’ coffee, birds are singin’ just outside
Here comes Your mercy streamin’ in with the morning light
My heart is racin’, wakin’ up to You’re smile

It’s a good mornin’, good mornin’
I remember readin’ You’re the God who never sleeps
And while I’ve been dreamin’ You’ve been singin’ over me, yeah
Singin’ about my freedom, wakin’ me up to hear Your song
Now I can’t dance hard enough
‘Cause yesterday is gone, gone, gone!
I’m smellin’ coffee, birds are singin’ just outside
Here comes Your mercy streamin’ in with the morning light

My heart is racin’, wakin’ up to You’re smile
It’s a good mornin’, good mornin’
Every little breath, every heartbeat
Is a gift of love that You give to me
You keep givin’ even when I’m asleep
‘Cause I know You never stop watchin’ over me
I wake up, my past is gone
‘Cause Your mercy’s new with the mornin’ sun
I’m forgiven, I’m free, it’s a brand new day
‘Cause Your faithfulness is the greatest, hey!
I’m smellin’ coffee, birds are singin’ just outside
Here comes Your mercy streamin’ in with the morning light
My heart is racin’, wakin’ up to Your smile
It’s a good mornin’, good mornin’

I listened to it several times, then continued with the rest of the CD. I was also waiting for Gary to get home so we could watch a movie together. He got home too late, and I was already getting ready for bed when he got home.

But now it's a brand new day. It's a good morning.

No comments: