Wednesday, March 24, 2010

So much more

In learning about Baptism, I am realizing how much I have missed in the 26 years of my Baptism. What I thought I was doing - showing others that I had accepted Christ into my life, joining my church, and following Him through the waters of baptism - I am learning I actually did nothing.

I went through the motions, but God did the work. He saved me, He washed away my sins, He covered me with the Holy Spirit. I didn't realize what He does through Baptism. But He didn't just do the work then, He has done it every day since and continues to save me, wash me clean of my sins, and cover me with the Holy Spirit. He does the work through Baptism, but also through His Word and The Lord's Supper.

God gives me my faith. And what a gift. To have salvation, the Spirit working in me, the name of Christ on me. I knew I had these things, in a sense, but not from my Baptism. Well, I hadn't really thought about the fact that Christ's name is on me. And what that means. If I believe that I have to do something first, before Baptism, than I am limiting God to my abilities. And let me tell you that that is limiting, since I can do nothing without Christ. I can't believe without the Holy Spirit. The Spirit comes with Baptism. I want my children to have the gift of faith. To have Christ's name on them. To have salvation. To have their sins washed away. I want them Baptized.

There's a lot I had not really thought about, known about, but now I know that I am missing so much. Take the 10 Commandments, the Apostle's Creed, and The Lord's Prayer. They seem simple, but there is so much teaching packed in these three that I have never heard.

I am hungry to learn more.

No comments: