Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shopping and saving

Yesterday we went to the mall for the sole purpose to get Gary glasses. We tried LensCrafters. They did not have economical prices nor any deals. We decided to try Sears Optical. They had a mostly the same prices, but they had some deals. Ironically in the processes of taking off his current glasses and trying on new pairs, the arm came off his current glasses. He could possibly have worn them, but he put them in his pocket after they broke, effectively bending the other arm.

Gary is getting a new pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. He saved 60%. While there, I perused a bit. I ended up buying a matching winter hat, scarf and gloves and a pair of slippers on clearance and much needed pair stockings. Before we actually left the store I decided that I didn't want the hat, gloves and scarf as much as a Phillies sweatshirt, I returned them.

I tried two sports stores looking for a Phillies sweatshirt. Nothing economical that I liked.

At this point the kids were getting quite irritable. Tired and hungry are not desirable qualities in children. So we headed to the car. While driving home, we discussed quick prep dinner options. As we came upon our church, we remembered the youth group was having a spaghetti dinner/silent auction fund raiser. It was 5:30. Did it start yet? we wondered. I convinced Gary to at least stop and see. They were just getting to started, so we signed up and took our seats.

I checked out the items for auction and looked for ones that interested me and had low bids, since we have low funds. I found one. A discovery toy basket and free babysitting. I bid. I won.

So, on an outing that was purposed for eye glasses, we purchased eye glasses, stockings and slippers, dinner, a toy basket, and babysitting. Everything was economical, and we didn't blow the budget.

No comments: